Saturday 6 August 2016

Days 20-21 - PoPo's Class and Northern Lights

Friday, August 5 - Day 20

We began the morning back at Emifini and I was in PoPo's class. I wish I could get my videos to post because this class were some of the best singers. She said she felt like they learned better and didn't talk as much when they sang everything. PoPo is in one of the containers and has 31 students. I was able to help them with math addition, a lesson out of their English book and complete an interactive read aloud with them. They really seemed to understand the book I read on Picking Apples. I then was lucky enough to have some left over apples in the room that I cut into small chunks for us to eat. That made the story even better. :) It is neat to see the different ways each teacher tackles lunch. During lunch each day student leaders bring the lunches to the containers for the grade 1 students. In PoPo's classroom she had the spoons for each student so they only needed to bring a drink. She also had a bucket full of soapy water with a squirt of lotion in it for them to wash their hands before eating. She definitely loves her students.  

PoPo sharing a reading.

Lunch 

English lesson

English lesson

After leaving Emifini we headed over to a special needs or exceptional school called Northern Lights. I thought it was odd that there were no exceptional needs students in any of the other schools that we have attended. They all attend the same school. There were approximately 150 students Grade R to High School at the same school. Most of the teachers have an assistant but not all of them. These students were so independent and loving. I enjoyed talking and interacting with them. Most of the students here would have been in our normal classes or small group settings in the United States some would have needed  a one on one but not all of them. 

Beautiful just beautiful!

Sporting their CFIE bracelets.

Loving their suckers Mary Ludwig passed out. 

This is their only Grade R student. I felt bad for him that he was the only
one in the classroom. 

Enjoying the stories I am being told. 

Saturday, August 6 - Day 21

Beautiful day off today on the beach and shopping with the girls. I also finished the book The Making of Modern South Africa which we will be discussing tomorrow night. This evening we attended a high tea at the hotel on the boardwalk. It was very pretty and yummy! I had never gone to a high tea before but really enjoyed it. After high tea we went for a walk to watch the sunset. Such a wonderful relaxing day. 

High Tea

Desserts at High Tea

Sandwiches at High Tea

High Tea
Beautiful Sunset on the beach.




2 comments: