Sunday 17 July 2016

Day 2 of our advanture

July 17, 2016 - Day 2

After a good nights sleep we woke up and had breakfast to begin our day early. Today we traveled to Addo Elephant National Park. At the elephant park we learned many new things about elephants, water buffalo, ostrich (Did you know the male is black and white and the female is gray?) warthogs and many smaller birds. We had lunch at the elephant park and ... I ATE SNAILS!!! Yes you read that right I ate snails. They were actually very delicious. After leaving Addo we traveled to Kragga Game Park. On the way to Kragga we saw giraffe and zebra just hanging out on the side of the road. I just couldn't believe it. When we arrived at the game park we went on a riding tour to see and learn about zebras, rhinos, giraffes (Did you know the dominant male has darker spots and their spots are like our fingerprints all different), antelope (I have a great story to tell about them.), wildebeest, and cheetahs (just wait until you hear the story I have on them also). After a long and very eventful day we arrived back to Abalone Guest House (it is fantastic by the way if I haven't mentioned that already), ate a hot dog :) and ice cream and are preparing to head to Nelson Mandela 
Metropolitan University tomorrow. 


Water Buffalo
Warthog
Male and Female Ostrich 


So many beautiful elephants about 10 feet away in this picture
But wait until you hear this they came up near us and were only about 1 foot from us at one point. 

Snails in garlic butter sauce. So YUMMY!!!
These are the cheetahs that were in the cheetah enclosure today when our jeep broke down
and would not go. They did not hurt us but I must say when they began circling around the jeep it
did send a chill down my spine. On the brighter side they were beautiful creatures.
Here I am playing a game with many of my educator friends ...
The goal of the game was to see who could spit a piece of impala (which is a type of antelope) poop the farthest! I WON!!!
Don't gross out on me it looked like a dried up coffee bean and they only eat vegetation so it
was really JUST GRASS :)
Ready to go on our tour at Addo Elephant National Park
See how close I was to this giraffe? He was the dominant male of the family.

Breakfast every morning by Christine at the Abalone Guest House in Port Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment